Saturday, December 10, 2011

Review #1

In class we talked a lot about immigrant workers and immigrants coming into Canada. I learned that Canada was and still is pretty strict about letting immigrants come in to the country. I find this kind of frustrating and upsetting. Canada has always been known for our "politeness" and everywhere you go when  you mention your Canadian people are pleased to meet you, unlike Americans. I know this is somewhat of a stereotype but I took pride in being Canadian when I was in Australia travelling. So I always thought that it was easy for immigrants to come into our country, why wouldn't we want to help other people? And isn't it a benefit/compliment if people from other places want to live in OUR country? Last year my cousin got married to a girl from the Philippines, she has been living in Canada for some time and they've lived together in Fort Mac for about 4 years. When they were planning there wedding they wanted to have her mother, father and little sister come over from the Philippines for the wedding. Her family had to of course apply for temporary visas and give basically every detail about their life. They got rejected multiple times and it took my aunt and uncle getting involved and contacting their MLA and other resources to finally get them accepted. All this for just a wedding! I found it crazy that the government would be so harsh on a family who obviously wanted to just come over to see their daughter and sister get married.
     Below I have attached an article I read in the Chronicle Herald in November, which I'm pretty sure we discussed in class, or something similar to it. This article talks about how confusing the immigration laws are in Canada but also that the future looks brighter. This is a statement I don't know I believe but I guess time will tell. The Minister of Immigration also states that there will be a "fast lane for the best and brightest immigrants and removing obstacles to their becoming permanent residents and citizens." This is all well and good but I feel what he is saying and what the article states kind of seems like Canada's only changing the laws and rules to benefit ourselves. Maybe that's how the system works I'm not sure. I just have friends that have come over from other countries like Bosnia, although this is when the war was going on, and their families needed to flee the country because of the war and poverty etc. To make a family wait in agony like that seems so sad. I'm not saying it should be a first come first serve basis but I think Canada can come up with some other way or process to figure this out where it doesn't have to be so harsh. 


http://thechronicleherald.ca/editorials/31245-immigration-reforms
 

No comments:

Post a Comment